Application Guide Without Service Fee Guide you how to apply for studying in University of Science and Technology Beijing & Study in
I. Normal Period of Study and Academic Schedule
The normal period of study for each program is as follows: 4 years for undergraduate degrees, 3 years (or in some cases, 2 years) for master's degrees, and 4 years for doctoral degrees. Students may, in particular cases, reduce or extend the duration of study upon application.
University of Science and Technology Beijing divides every academic year into spring and autumn and summer semesters, with the latter marking the commencement of the academic year. The autumn semester starts in September and ends in January of the following year while the spring semester begins in February and ends in June. There is a summer semester which will last one month from the end of June to the end of July, usually the internship will be arranged in this summer semester. There will be a winter and summer vacation every year. The summer vacation usually lasts 2 months and there are various summer vacation courses available for students. The winter vacation lasts 4 weeks and normally follows the schedule of Chinese New Year.
1. Undergraduate program: Students are required to complete the curriculum between 4 to 6 years and fulfill the designated number of credits and complete the bachelor’s thesis and defend of it in front of a panel of experts. Successful graduates will receive a graduation certificate along with the bachelor's degree, according to the regulation of the Degree Committee.
2. Master's Program: Students are required to complete the curriculum between 2-3 years, fulfill the designated number of credits, complete the master's thesis and defend of it in front of a panel of experts. Successful graduates will receive a graduation certificate along with the Master's degree, according to the regulation of the Degree Committee.
3. Doctorate Program: Students are required to complete the curriculum between 4-6 years (in normal circumstances), fulfill the designated number of credits, conduct research, complete the doctoral thesis and defend it in front of a panel of experts. Successful graduates will receive a graduation certificate with the doctoral degree, according to the regulation of the Degree Committee.
4. The Chinese Language Program: is the best way to understand China and Chinese culture. Any qualified foreigner may apply to international Office, University of Science and Technology Beijing for this program. The academic year of the long term Chinese learning for this program is divided into two semesters: (1) spring semester: Feb-Jun; (2) autumn semester: Sep - Jan. Each semester consists of 18 weeks (20 class hours per week, holidays excluded). The lessons are taught by instructors from the University of Science and Technology Beijing Chinese Language Centre (CLC). There are also some short-term language programs.
University Credit Program: Candidates must have completed at least one year of undergraduate study at their own university. The options are available for joining undergraduate or Graduate courses or enhancing proficiency in Chinese language.
5. Exchange Program: the candidate’s home institution has the exchange program agreement with USTB, and was recommended to USTB to study for one semester or one year. The candidate should be qualified for the conditions settled in the agreement. USTB will issue the transcript and study certificate for the exchange students
Internship Program: The candidate from some Foreign colleges could apply for the short-term (1-4months) internship program in USTB, and to do research or study with USTB Supervisor.
III. Requirement of Proficiency in Chinese Language
Undergraduates, Master and Doctoral candidates are not required to take the Chinese language proficiency exam.
IV. Selecting Procedure
It takes approximate 4 to 6 weeks after the application deadline to receive the notifications of admission. We may inform you the missing materials according to your application process during this period. If admitted, we will send you the admission notice and other relevant documents. Information about the progress of an application can be obtained by contacting the International Students Division either by email or telephone. Due to our limited staff, we cannot reply promptly to all enquiries.